Y’all are just awesome.
I recently posted that I want to start shooting Facebook Live videos and I wanted to know what you would like to see me make.
It seems that an overwhelming number of you want macarons. Which, in all honesty, is a good thing.
I make some bomb macarons.
So we start that next Monday.
Everyone else (minus a few goof offs- I still love you) wants something that will up their game.
It’s upping my game too guys and I’m a-okay with that!
So here was my first recipe after I got the “spice it up” bug.
Naturally, you want to mise en place- or gather your ingredients. It’s also a good idea to gather the pots/pans/etc… that you will need as well.
At this point, I had the water working on boiling and had gotten the pan out for making the bacon.
Go ahead and get that going.
Combine your eggs and Parmesan cheese.
Cut your scallion and mince your garlic (if not already done- I purchase pre-minced garlic).
If your water is boiling, sprinkle in a little salt and add the tortellini to the water.
Bacon is probably done, therefore you need to drain them and add them to the cutting board to chop up once cooled.
Leave some of the grease in the pan.
Add the scallion and garlic for a few minutes- be sure not to brown the garlic or they will taste rancid. That’s no fun!
I put mine on a plate once they were finished up.
The next few steps I didn’t take pictures of because I needed both hands-
I’ve got to get a helper… shouldn’t be a problem!
Anyways, I added two tablespoons of the hot pasta water to the egg mixture while whisking away to temper the eggs.
I combined the bacon bits and noodles to the bacon/scallion mixture, then slowly added the egg mixture, folding it into the rest of the ingredients.
Here is a picture of the final results. I think our oldest was the most impressed with this recipe, as she asked for seconds. I liked it and nobody else complained, which in our house is a win!
- 20 oz family style package of Buitoni Tortellini- Your choice of flavor
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 cloves garlic
- 1 shallot
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped optional garnish
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Bring large pot of water to a boil.
- Cook bacon on pan until crisp. Drain, cut into small pieces.
- Add eggs and Parmesan cheese to a small bowl and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- Salt boiling water, then add tortellini pasta. Boil according to package directions. Ladle out about two tablespoons of the pasta water to a small bowl, then drain pasta.
- Add shallot and garlic to bacon drippings in skillet. Cook about 1-2 minutes, stirring frequently so they don't burn.
- Working quickly, pour about 2 Tbsp of hot pasta water into the egg mixture, whisking very quickly as you pour.
- Turn heat to skillet to the lowest setting. Add drained pasta to the skillet, then, working very quickly, add in the tempered egg and cheese mixture a little at a time
- Serve hot with additional basil, salt and pepper if desired.
Original recipe found at: https://www.thechunkychef.com/20-minute-tortellini-pasta-carbonara/