I recently read an article where a person talked about the food that described them best.
Naturally that made me think, “What is my food?” The one food that describes me best.
Why though? Let me count the ways:
- Breakfast has always been my favorite meal of the day. For the longest time, I had to eat as soon as I got up. Now, I drink a cup of coffee and typically eat brunch.
- When I was younger I would beg my mother to purchase the pre-made frozen french toast sticks from the school. I swear, they were like a bite of heaven.
- I chose stuffed because all the sweet needs a bit of savory from the bacon. Plus one of my favorite adult memory was making a stuffed French toast for my mother. I believe it was by Bobby Deen.
- I totally love carbs. At least to a certain extent (sorry, in my “old” age I can’t eat it all day long and feel good). Seriously though, don’t you?
Now that we have figured out exactly why French toast is the food that describes me best- here’s the recipe:
I do a lot of cooking outside so this was my set up for the day.
I used the base of eggs, milk, vanilla extract, sugar, and cinnamon for the dipping mixture. Be sure to mix it well.
My newest favorite is artesano bread by Sarah Lee or homemade French Brioche. This particular morning, you can see what I reached for.
For my filling I used cream cheese with a drizzle of maple syrup, then I added the cooked bacon into the mixture.
At this point, spread the mixture onto the bread and made my sandwich.
Then I buttered my pan which was already hot from the grill.
Next step? Soak the bread in the egg mixture and put the sandwich on the grill.
Let it sit on both sides for about a minute.
Take the sandwich off the grill and let cool slightly before adding more maple syrup (if you so desire) and biting into the sweet and savory taste of this breakfast sandwich.
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 8 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- 8 slices bread of choice
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. sugar
- vegetable oil
- Turn on Grill, set to medium temperature. Add pan to top of grill rack.
- Combine eggs, milk, vanilla, butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Whisk well, set aside.
- In the next bowl, combine cream cheese and maple syrup, then crumbled bacon.
- Add cream cheese mixture to one of the pieces of bread and top with another piece of bread (make a sandwich).
- Dip both sides of sandwich into egg mixture
- Place on pan for one minute and flip, leaving on pan for another minute.
- Let cool, then top how desired. Enjoy!