grew up on oatmeal and could not stand the taste of grits.
Naturally I had always had sweet oatmeal though.
While still working for Morning Chores I wrote a post on # of Oatmeal recipes and stumbled upon a savory oatmeal recipe.
Since then I really wanted to try it and today I finally broke down and tried it.
The recipe I found called for cooking it all on the stove.
When it comes to oatmeal, I’m lazy and figured out how to make it in the microwave.
Here’s the step by step guide:
1. Warm up the pre-made bacon
I warmed it up for thirty seconds. It was very hot and there was grease in the bowl. Keep the bacon fat, you want that.
2. Add in the oatmeal and water to the bacon dripped bowl
Cook as you typically would (mine took about a minute and a half).
3. Add in your toppings
My choice was the crumbled bacon, salt, pepper, red pepper and onion flakes.
4. Make an egg of your choice
You can do this in the microwave as well. I sprayed the coffee cup down and baked this in the microwave for a minute. You’ll hear it pop. That’s okay. If you scramble it- you may not hear the pop.
- 1 slice of precooked bacon
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1 cup water
- pinch of: onion powder, red pepper flakes, salt, and pepper
- 1 egg
- Warm bacon in microwave for thirty seconds
- Take bacon out of bowl, add in water and oatmeal. Cook until desired doneness (1 1/2 minutes for me)
- Take out of microwave, add in seasonings and bacon piece.
- Spray coffee mug with cooking spray and add in an egg for one minute or until finished.
- Add to oatmeal and enjoy!